This week’s #tastytuesday recipe sees me trying out another recipe for Christmas.
OH is a big sprouts fan and definitely takes the view no Christmas lunch is complete without them. I prefer my vegetables a little more imaginative than just plain boiled, so this recipe, adapted from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg Everyday strikes just the right balance. It also suits me because you can prepare it, leave it and pop it in the oven when you are ready. For me, this beats trying to synch lots of pans on the hob.
I also kept it local, with sprouts and shallots from C & R Family Grocers in Cricklade.
- Olive oil (about 3 tbsp)
- 400 gr sprouts, washed, peeled and halved
- 350 gr shallots, peeled and sliced in half
- Several sprigs of thyme
- 100 g chopped pre-cooked chestnuts
- 4 rashers of bacon, cut into lardons
- Preheat the oven to 190 C, Gas Mark 5.
- Cut the bacon and prepare the vegetables.
- Fry the bacon until lightly cooked. Add chestnuts.
- Arrange the sprouts and shallots face down in a large roasting dish.
- Trickle oil and bacon mix over, add sprigs of thyme and a few slices of lemon. Season to taste.
- Roast for 35 minutes.Check and turn about half way through.
- Serve. And enjoy.
Variations on roast brussels sprouts with shallots
I have also tried this substituting carrot batons for the shallots, adding onion to the bacon mix and incorporating chopped hazel nuts and grated fresh ginger into the mix (extra yummy). Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Joining with Honest Mum’s Tasty Tuesday (I’m making a note to myself to try a new recipe at least once a week, and to try to make it as seasonal as possible. See, I did get around to the sprouts.)