February…closer to spring

Hard to believe, we are no longer in January.

Boy cheerfully annouced it was February 1st on Saturday. Cold, wet and water-logged outside, nobody much felt like celebrating this fact. New Years Resolutions lay in tatters and we are counting the days until Half Term. (Surely, then the mornings have to get lighter, right?)

But things can change quicker than a blink sometimes.

We found these in my parents’ garden on Sunday…..

Boy thought they meant snow was on its way. I put him straight. The harbringers of Spring.

snow dropsWe call it day, but dank fog
curtains sky, below
a crown of bulbs burn white.

Rain falls. Earth sinks below
its watery core
ghosts of islands emerge.

Joining with Oliver’s Madhouse #magicmoments to kick off my week with some feel good factor.

About sarah

Old enough to know better, still young enough not to care. Property lawyer, sometime developer, writer and mother, coffee lover and cat-napper. I blog about life as a mum in North Wilts.
This entry was posted in Lydiard and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to February…closer to spring

1. MummyTries says:

Here here to the Spring countdown! It’s been a strange winter, can’t wait to see the back of it now! #MagicMoments

2. January did pass us by so stupidly quickly didn’t it?

3. Ellen says:

What a beautiful sight! #MagicMoments

4. Beautiful photo, and hooray. here comes spring!

5. Colette B says:

Funnily enough I saw my first snowdrops this morning too! :D AND noticed that it was a bit lighter this morning. Whoop
    #MagicMoments

6. Tanya says:

I love spring, my favourite season..I can’t wait, but I can’t help thinking the weather is going to get worse before better – and that is because we haven’t seen any snow at all on the east coast this winter – which is highly unusual.

7. Kim Carberry says:

Beautiful flowers…..
    I actually thought it was lighter earlier this morning too….but maybe it was just because it wasn’t grey and raining made it look lighter…lol x

8. Honest Mum says:

Beautiful shot of those heavy headed snowdrops…roll on the spring!

9. Michelle says:

I love seeing the flowers starting to bloom at this time of the year – gives me hope that spring will soon be here!

10. Such a beautiful poem. Today’s felt like spring here too – lots of chilly sunshine, with less of a nip in the air than there has been recently. It could turn back, though….February’s a funny old month.

11. Jaime Oliver says:

YAY these are officially my first sight of them this year as mine have not come out yet!! I am so pleased to see them!!

thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments and cheering me up no end :-)

12. Mummy of Two says:

Lovely! Spring must be on the way!

13. Can’t wait for Spring, lovely photo! #MagicMoments

14. Charly Dove says:

Snowdrops are such a lovely sight aren’t they, the true taste of Spring. There are some daffodils up a few minutes away from our house I saw at the weekend. Be so amazing to get a great Spring and Summer like last year *dreams*

15. Oh, I do love snowdrops :) It’s still just snowing here!

16. Helen Wills says:

It really is magical when you spot the first snow drops. Then comes the colour of crocuses and before you know it we’re in spring! Can’t wait!

17. What a lovely photo, and hooray for being a step closer to Spring! I’m ready for more blue skies and bright days! #magicmoments

18. Spring is in the air! Yay! #MagicMoments

19. Yep, roll on blue skies!

20. Mel says:

Bring on Spring! I just love it when the days get longer and the garden starts to come alive again. Mel #MagicMoments