After the chocolate fest of Easter, perhaps it’s time for something savoury! This is a favourite of mine, a great tea-time snack and something which you can pack in your lunch box the next day.
The original recipe (courtesy of my Dairy Diary) says use a handful of chopped spinach leaves, but I have found finely chopped leeks a great substitute and I am guessing that as long as you keep the basic proportions the same, you could use any suitable vegetable!
To make the savoury muffins, you will need
- 6 slices chopped parma ham
- Handful of finely chopped leeks
- 250g(9oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsb crushed black peppercorns
- 50g(2oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- Handful of finely chopped leeks, or chopped spinach (remember to wash well first)
- Handful chopped basil leaves, or other herb
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 275ml (10fl oz) milk
- 75g (3oz) melted butter (I melt on a very low setting in the microwave)
- Pinch of salt.
Making the muffins is straightforward, although I “cheat” and use a muffin case rather than oiling the muffin tin…it makes it much easier to get them out and comes in useful if you are using them for a packed lunch the next day.
- Ensure all ingredients ready, as set out above. (Don’t forget to chop the veggies and melt the butter!)
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5, line the muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
- In a pan, dry-fry the parma ham for 1-2 minutes until it is crisp.
- Fry the leeks in a little oil if using until they are soft. (You can use the spinach uncooked).
- Sift flor, baking powder,
- Stir flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and a pinch of salt (according to taste) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the parma ham, crushed peppercorns, Parmesan, spinach/leeks and herbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, milk and egg. Fold into the dry ingredients.
- Divide the muffin mix between the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with cheese, Parma ham and a green salad if desired.
Joining with Honest Mum’s #TastyTuesday. Joining too with a Mummytoo’s #RecipeoftheWeek.