Simple Summer Smoothy

When we moved into the cottage, I absently planted some herbs in the empty planters.

mint plants in tubAgainst the odds (and my record of plant neglect) several of them have not only survived the Winter, but thrived.

This recipe is inspired by our sudden abundance of mint and a feature in The Simple Things magazine that caught my eye, Grow your own smoothies.

Inspired by Kate at Veggie Desserts (who makes the most amazing puddings and cakes using vegetables) I have also added some kale, hoping it would be a sure-fire way of getting some of Boy’s 5-a-day down him. (It was!)

The mint gives it a lovely fresh summery taste. It’s great to sip on the patio in the sunshine. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m betting it would also make a great cocktail if you added some fizz to it! And, surprisingly, you don’t notice the kale!

All you need to make two smoothies isSummer mint smoothie

• Large handful of kale.
  • Large sweet orange.
  • 6 tablespoonfuls of plain yoghurt.
  • Approximately 1-2 teaspoonful of honey or maple syrup to sweeten.
  • Handful of mint leaves.
  • 1-2 cups of cranberry juice.
  • Raspberries, coloured sugar and anything else that tickles your fancy to garnish.
  • A blender.
  1. First cut the stalks off the kale and boil the leaves for about 6 minutes, then drain.
  2. Peel and de-seed the orange. Cut the flesh into segments.
  3. Clean and chop the mint leaves, reserving a few sprigs to garnish.
  4. Add all these ingredients to a jug or the blender bowl, add the yoghurt and cranberry juice and blend. Add the honey or syrup to taste.
  5. Serve in tall glasses (you can dip the rim in water and roll in sugar if you like). Add a sprig of mint, ice cubes and some raspberries or whatever else takes your fancy!

Just sit back. And Enjoy.

mint smoothy with green smoothy mint garnishing
Joining with Honest Mum’s #TastyTuesday. Joining too with a Mummytoo’s #RecipeoftheWeek.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.comLink up your recipe of the week

About sarah

Old enough to know better, still young enough not to care. Property lawyer, sometime developer, writer and mother, coffee lover and cat-napper. I blog about life as a mum in North Wilts.
This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Simple Summer Smoothy

1. Jenny says:

Fantastic I did a smoothie this week too for #tastytuesday. I love them. This is one I will definitely have to try. Sounds refreshing. Thanks so much for sharing. Love the presentation too.

• sarah says:

Thanks Jenny. For some reason, smoothies always seem like a lot of hard work, but they’re not, have now got into habit of reserving some of evening veggies to add to the smoothie for the next day’s breakfast!

2. Tina Holmes says:

I really need to get in to smoothies. I don’t think I’ve ever tried kale, its now on my to do list. #TastyTuesdays

• sarah says:

Growing to like kale…. not too different from broccoli, but perhaps a little less full-on, still like to remove the stalks as they can taste a little bitter, but that could just be me!

3. Mel says:

I have never tried Kale, but keep seeing it in recipes. It must be good and I have to have a go at using it. I love all the other ingredients you have used so that would probably be a winner in my house. Pinning! Mel

• sarah says:

Thanks Mel, yes kale and chard seem to be in, easy to cook and doesn’t taste too veggie! Think the trick is to remove the stalks and blend the leaves.

4. Sounds super healthy and tasty too. Love the picture. #TastyTuesdays

5. I love a good smoothie, not thought of using kale in one, I shall definitely be trying this. #TastyTuesdays

• sarah says:

Kale surprisingly works a treat….just remove the big stalks and add a dash of honey or maple syrup. Tried this lunchtime with frozen cherries added too and it worked a treat!

6. Ooh yummy! I have a bit of an addiction to mint in drinks, and this would make a nice change from me putting it in Pimms ;-)
    #TastyTuesdays #Recipeoftheweek

7. Honest Mum says:

Oh delicious, love mint in everything from apple juice to tea-never thought of adding kale either but will now, stunning recipe! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

8. Pingback: Super Smoothie - Dairy Free & Vegan

9. Mel says:

Hi Sarah, just a quick message to let you know your recipe inspired me to try making my own smoothie and I just wrote about my attempt. I mentioned your post and linked back to you. Mel