The last few weeks have seen us focused on the garden and making the most of the sunshine.
Here’s my #TastyTuesday offering, a really summery light vegetable and fruit cake. Perfect for those summer garden parties, and a doddle to make. It’s based on two recipes, one submitted to the River Cottage community and another from Woman & Home, with a few twists.
- Extra lime zest and a bit of juice added to the mix.
- I soaked the mixed fruit in rum first for that extra kick.
- I used a single cake tin, rather than two sandwiches and iced the top.
- I used half white SR flour and half wholemeal spelt, for that mushy wholesome taste
- I added some white chocolate instead of nuts to the icing. (Oh and the obligatory chocolate sprinkles!)
- I also ended up changing the quantities as I wanted to keep the cake really moist but without it going too doughy (and I was conscious that I was adding more liquid in the form of the lime).
Anyway, it worked out beautifully and we enjoyed said cake yesterday evening (with lots left over for me to snack on today!)
To make the cake, you’ll need
- 60g fruit
- Dash of rum
- 125ml olive oil
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium free range eggs, at room temperature
- 300g self-raising flour (half white, half spelt wholemeal, or adapt as you like)
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 250g courgette, finely grated, (about 2-3 courgettes),
- grated zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lime
For the icing
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g white chocolate
- 100g icing sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- courgette ribbons, chocolate sprinkles, to decorate
To make the cake
- Preheat your oven to 180/Gas Mark 4.
- Line the bottom of a round cake tin and grease the sides.
- Soak the dried fruit in the rum.
- Grate the courgette and lime vest, half the remaining lime.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, olive oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda into the mix. Fold in.
- Fold in the courgette, grated lime and fruit.
- Pour carefully into the cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Check regularly. Ovens can vary massively! When it looks golden on top, test with a thin knife or skewer….it’s ready when it comes away clean!
- Cool a bit, turn out on a wire rack and cool some more.
To make the icing
- Slowly melt the white chocolate using a double burner or in the microwave (set on low, use 30 second bursts, stop and stir, repeat until nearly all melted. Do not overcook…it will go on melting when you have removed it from the microwave!)
- Work quickly, add the cream cheese, icing sugar and lime juice to the chocolate and beat like hell.
- Smooth over the cake top.
- Dress with courgette ribbons, sprinkles or anything else you fancy!
Joining with Honest Mum’s #TastyTuesday.