For a super summery snack, you can’t go far wrong with a muffin. And this recipe makes the most of the delicious strawberries that are now in season. (Apparently the rain and then the sunshine have made this month’s strawberries extra sweet!)
They make a great finale for a picnic or an al fresco lunch. Or why not enjoy on their own with a cup of Lapsang Souchong or Tetleys (depending on your preferences)?
To make the muffins, you’ll need
- 200gr SR wholemeal spelt flour
- 150gr granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground black peppers
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsb ground sea salt
- 80ml vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large free range egg
- 80ml-120ml milk
- 170gr washed, destalked, chopped and hulled strawberries
- 12 muffin or cupcake cases
To make the muffins
- Preheat oven to 400F/GM 6/200C. Line tin with the cup cake/muffin cases.
- Sift the soda, baking powder, flour, salt and pepper. Return the flour husks to the bowl, add the sugar and mix all well together.
- Whisk together the oil and egg. Add 80ml of the milk. Whisk.
- Mix together the two mixtures, adding the egg/milk combination to the mixing bowl gradually, folding in with a wooden spoon. At this stage you may need to add more milk, or (more unlikely) more flour to get the right constituency. The mixture should be a sticky batter, scoopable, not as thick as pizza dough, but slightly thicker than your usual cake mix.
- Pour/scoop into the twelve muffin/cake tins and bake for 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes….you can tell when the muffins are ready as you should be able to put a skewer or knife in them and for it to come away “clean.”
- Remove from oven, allow them to cool slightly, then remove to an iron rack to cool further.